New dogwood browning

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by phx1kdr, Jul 11, 2006.

1. phx1kdr

phx1kdr Member

We moved to Atlant six years ago and instantly developed an appreciation for the dogwood trees. We had a nine foot dogwood planted about one month ago and the leaves recently began turning yellow. Mostly at the lower to middle portion, but the upper leaves don't look health either.

I suspect I had been over watering as it gets a lot of direct afternoon sun so ididn't want it to dry, but I am now worried that I'm not giving it enough water.

Any advice to help this young dogwood?

Thanks in advance.

Alpharetta, GA

2. green_sleeves4

green_sleeves4 Member

I had the same problem with mine- I have been pouring a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water around the base of mine on non watering days and it has helped immensely!

We have watering restrictions here, so a sprinkling every other day is not enough to support a newly planted tree. It needs supplemental water.

The new growth is coming out healthy. Mine is only 5' tall, so you might need to add another bucket of clear water. I use just a squirt of Ivory dish soap (not dishwasher!).
    This takes months, so you might luck out and get some rain relief in a month or two.
    Now, I give it soapy water every second bucket so it gets it ( Ivory ) only two times a week instead of every other day.

3. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

I'm just curious, what does the soapy water do?

4. green_sleeves4

green_sleeves4 Member

Hi, I thought I explained in my previous post that the soapy water helps the soil retain moisture. Not only that, but adding a small squirt to your outdoor flower & veggie beds helps in the same way, plus helps rid the soil of bad bugs. Great used as a spray for aphids and other pesky garden pests also! You only need about 1/2 tsp per bucket.
    Never use those antibacterial dish soaps, only a pure soap like Ivory or in a pinch, regular Sunlight. :)

5. green_sleeves4

green_sleeves4 Member

If in doubt, call the nursery and see what they say- it could just be transplant shock. The soapy water will not hurt it though.

6. phx1kdr

phx1kdr Member

Thanks.

I am only watering once per week using 5 gallon buckets for deep watering around the tree line (about 75 gallons total each Saturday). I see modest improvement, but this verdict of this tree's future remains unclear.

Would you suggest increasing the watering beyond the periodic 5 gal. water/soap bucket water that I will now mix in?

7. green_sleeves4

green_sleeves4 Member

yes, definitely water more than that! Newly planted trees use up a lot of water- so I would step up that deep watering to a minimum of 3X a week until the summer weather is over. I'd give a bucket of soapy water and flush it down with an extra bucket of clear.
    I do mine every 2nd day in this heat and like I mentioned, the new growth is coming in great. Trees do not show improvement as fast as other plants, especially new ones that don't have established deep roots. That is why I stepped up my watering- to make sure it gets enough water to get the tap root down as far as possible before winter sets in.
    I too, almost thought my tree wasn't going to make it. Perseverance is the key.

8. myrrhmaid

myrrhmaid Member

Is it one of the wild white dogwood trees? We have them here & they really need alot of shade & grow best under a canopy of trees or in a shady location.
    I use the soap & water too. It really helps the moisture saturate deep into the soil.
    If the nights are getting cooler-the leaves might be turning w/the season.
    I hope it makes it! They are soo strikingly beautiful!

9. green_sleeves4

green_sleeves4 Member

Ours is called a "Cherokee Chief' a dark pink to red flowering tree- it is more of an ornamental dogwood as compared to the wild ones that grown under the canopies of other trees.
    I think most gardeners would have better luck with their newly planted trees if they used the soapy water. I don't think they realize just how much water these babies need in their first year! A lot of success also depends on how the hole is prepared- lots of organics, and to make sure the hole is really wet. Most of the trees from nurseries are usually super dry and if those roots don't get the moisture they need they soon start to show signs of stress and or transplant shock.
    Ours sucked back the better part of 10 gallons of soapy water every other day all through the summer, and it was just a small one! Only 5' tall....it has grown at least half a foot in 6 months. Signing off- good luck with your tree!