My double blue and white new 2009 Columbine...

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 19, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

This is my double blue and white Aquilegia, from the much sought after winky series. It is brand new this year. The seeds take 30-50 days to germinate and this is a perennial.

What makes it so special, apart from the fact that it's new for 2009, is that the flowers are very unusual looking, especially for a columbine, as they take on a carnation-like appearance. As well, they will bloom the entire Spring long and even into summer a bit - whereas most Aquilegia only bloom a few weeks in spring!

: O

Here is my seed grown little 'winky' seedling, which will be going outdoors very shortly. I am in love with the leaves. The second pic is how the flowers will look next Spring. I intend on posting more pics as it grows this summer.

Unfortunately though, I will have to wait to see the flowers next year. As you can see they will be well worth the wait...

: )

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I would not EVER have guessed this flower to be a columbine!!! Leaves, sure---but the flower...!!! Spectacular!
    H.L., you have the greenest thumb in the known UNIVERSE. I suspect that your true identity is 'Primavera'---y'know, the goddess of spring who causes flowers to spring up and bloom just by her very presence. ---Ever know a guy named Botticelli...?

3. The Hollyberry Lady

LoL - too funny, Togata! You are so sweet. Nope, never heard of Botticelli - who is he?...

I know what you mean about those flowers not looking like Columbine - they are fabulous. I was just spellbound when I saw them in the catalog! Wow!

Thank you so much for your compliments, Togata. I sure do love to grow stuff. Maybe that's what you're seeing - all the love.

4. togata57

Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi---aka Sandro Botticelli (Il Botticello), 1445-1510.
    Italian painter of the Florentine school, probably best known for his Birth of Venus and Primavera.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Very interesting - thanks for sharing.

I recently got me a new digital camera, so the quality and clearness of my shots is much better now. Previous pics were taken with my web cam.

I am so in love with this columbine - I hope to collect more seeds from the plant later. Apparently, other aquilegia from the 'winky' series are unique and different like this one, also.

What a cool looking flower though - I think I will faint dead away when they bloom next Spring!

: O

6. togata57

Can't wait to see photos of them! I'm gonna have to look up 'Winky'. Just can't get over how different they look!

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, check them out. I researched them before and saw some pretty neat ones.