Little orange tree leaves falling

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by daysarenights, Dec 18, 2006.

1. daysarenights

daysarenights Member

I have an ornamental orange tree which stands at about 15 inches. It is still producing fruit but now the fruit arent getting very large before ripening. Also, many of the leaves are falling around the tree (they arent brown) but not growing back, there is no obvious signs of disease, I occasionally fertilise and water once a week. However, the sunlight in the winter here in the UK is not bright and doesnt last very long in the day, also the temperature is quite low. Another note is a month ago, I saw a fine web on the soil where a worm type creature with legs seemed to be building a cocoon, I poked it out but could it have caused a problem? I havent seen any signs of it since.

I would be very grateful for any help!

2. daysarenights

daysarenights Member

Also I have to note that I mist the leaves with water every other day.
    Heres some pictures of my problem, maybe you could identify them better:
    [​IMG]
    no leaves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

small fruit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Brolli

Brolli Member

Hello! I have the same plant you're having problems with. Thing is I'm having the same problem. Difference is my branches are starting to die from the tips toward the trunk. The leaves are still green when they fall off! I dont have any fruit on it yet. If you get any info on this please share it! Thanks^^

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Overwatering or cold roots (less than 55) while being exposed to direct sunlight are the 2 main reasons for leaf drop.

Once a week watering is probably too much especially during the winter when plants are not growing and soil is cooler. You should let the soil dry at least 2 inches deep before watering again.

Skeet

5. PhillyPalms

PhillyPalms Active Member

I agree with skeeterbug's answer 100%

6. timocon

timocon Member

I have been reading all of your responses regarding measuring soil temp and root rot, great info thanks!!

I planted seeds from an orange about a month and a half ago. I now have a tree that is about 3 feet tall. I have searched on line to see what a orange tree seedling looks like to make sure I am growing an orange tree and not just a weed. Do any of you have photos of an orange tree seedling?

Also, I live in North Texas, Do I need to bring this tree inside during the winter or just hang the lights around the pot?

Will I get fruit from this tree or am I wasting my time? Do I need to buy some sort of other Citris?

The tree right now looks like it has some seed pods on the ends of the limbs, the limbs at this point are green, is this the flowering of the tree?

I guess what I really want to know is do I actually have an orange tree?

Thanks,
    Tim

7. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Just guessing, but if you have plant that is 3ft tall and is just 6 weeks old-- it is not an orange. I have several different kinds of citrus growing from seed-- most are 8 to 12 months old and few are over 1 foot.

I will try to find Dr Manners link on citrus identification and add it to this post.

here it is--
    http://members.aol.com/mmmavocado/MMMspage.html

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. timocon

timocon Member

Just as I thought I am probably growing some sort of weed!! I have put some slow release fertilizer in the pot, which I am sure you are doing with yours. I will try to take some photos of it and post them to see what you think.

thankls again,