Naga Jolokia aka the Ghost Pepper

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Blake09, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Has anyone ever herd of this plant?... Or grew it?... What's the Hottest Pepper in the World:

In 2007, it was confirmed by the Guinness World Record Association that it is the hottest chili in the world and was rated at 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units (SHU). This rating is known to be two times higher than the old record holder of the Red Savina Habanero pepper.

The pepper is a naturally occurring inter-specific hybrid that originates in the Assam region of northeastern India. Ripe peppers measure around 2.4 inches to 3.3 inches and are usually orange or red in color. They are similar looking to habanero peppers, but have a rougher and dented skin.

It’s been known that one seed from the Naga Jolokia pepper can produce an intense burning sensation in the mouth for up to 30 minutes before going away. Keep this in mind while deciding whether or not to cook with this pepper!

Read more:

http://herbsspices.suite101.com/article.cfm/whats_the_hottest_pepper_in_the_world

http://accidentalblogger.typepad.com/accidental_blogger/2007/08/the-ghost-peppe.html

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

This pepper is very common, in fact it is currently the most popular pepper being grown by hobbyists. I am currently growing 3 plants at this time. The actual real name of the pepper on the Guinness world records is Bhut Jolokia, long grown by the Naga people of India. It is a Capsicum chinense cultivar, but in its pedigree it has a bit of Capsicum frutescens, therefore as you wrote, it is an interspecific hybrid. Due to its origin as an interspecific hybrid , it causes pollen abortion which greatly reduces the number of flowers that get pollinated, so flower drop is very common. Therefore, if you grow it, in order to get a good fruit set you will need to spray the flowers with gibberellic acid, and keep the night temperature at or preferably above 65F. - Millet (1,152-)

3. Paulyman

Paulyman Member

I am growing these this year as well as the Moruga and the Butch T, very very spicy

4. bonsaipf

bonsaipf Active Member

Yeah, the Ghost pepper is no longer the record holder for hottest pepper although it is definitely plenty hot. Last time I checked the newest record holder for the hottest was the Trinidad Scorpion, but I think that has changed too recently. Anyway have fun growing your hot peppers but never forget to wash your hands after handling them!!!! All it takes is one time of going to the washroom after forgetting to wash your hands after handling the peppers and you will never forget again!!!!

5. Paulyman

Paulyman Member

The new record holder is the Carolina Reaper, I'm growing that one this year.