tree roots and house foundation

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by JianMai, May 12, 2009.

1. JianMai

JianMai Member

Hi, I have planted a Katsura tree in my back yeard last year, around 15 feet away from my house. I wonder if I planted it too close to my house and the tree roots could post dangers to my house when it matures? If I need to, will the tree easily die if I move it? It grows very well now around 15 feet tall... thks

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. JianMai

JianMai Member

Thanks, Liz.
    My tree is at your first link- Japonica Katsura. Yes it could get big especially my yard is low having a sewer, so water is not a problem. I know it has shadow root system. But not know if this kind of root system will be harmful for my house fundation or not. Any expert input?

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A potential risk. Unfortunately I can't find any published info on whether Katsura is a high risk species (like e.g. willows) or low risk species (like e.g. birch), as it isn't grown commonly enough for there to be enough evidence either way. If the root system is shallow, the risks will be lower - deep-rooting trees are generally the ones that cause damage to foundations.

5. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I know tree roots can eventually lift concrete sidewalks, but any exposed concrete foundations I've seen cause the roots to just follow the concrete down. If there's holes in the concrete, or if the foundation is shallow I suppose it could be a problem. If your house is on a basement I think you're probably homefree.
    Carl

6. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

Generally roots will not pose a problem to foundations or sewers if they are properly built and you do not have shrinking soils (soils that move with water content).

If you need consulting services I work in Toronto as and arborist/consultant.

Michael