To prune or not to prune....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by whiterock patio, Jul 11, 2008.

1. whiterock patio

whiterock patio Member

My sister told me that she has begun pruning her tomato plants. She told me that removing the excess leaves will promote flowering as it stresses the plant.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Let me know your thoughts and if you've ever tried this (sucessful or not)

Thanks!

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

My view is dead or dried dying leaves contribute little to fruit production, and removing some probably does little harm, and may do some good in that the fruit is not crowded and ventilation may be improved. But don't carry it to extremes. I usually remove some of the dying lower leaves with a shearing tool for asthetic purposes only.

3. whiterock patio

whiterock patio Member

I gave my plants a "haircut"!
    They are over 5 feet tall and have lots of flowers... but no fruit :(

Some of the buds are dropping (this happened before the haircut)...
    I think the weather here in BC was too cold this spring...

I don't think the crop will be too hearty this year..
    Are others in the BC area experiencing this as well?

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

My tomatoes are of poor quality also. It was so cold during May and June that they grew fairly tall, and the lower leaves died off. I trimmed them off completely. The plants have the appearance of cranes. They are about 7 feet tall, and just now are producing good fruit. If I could cut the stems by about two or more feet and push into the ground, the tomatoes would have a normal appearance. I am not a happy traveller.

If I understand you correctly a haircut means you cut the leaders. To get any production, it will be necessary to allow some suckers to mature, but you will also need some high temperatures.