Raspberry Flea Beetle

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by robyn, Oct 5, 2011.

1. robyn

robyn Active Member 10 Years

Hi there,

For some reason I don't find too much info on this pest when I google it. I just want to know how to stop the life cycle - I forgo, or don't let flower, all of the canes next year, will I be getting rid of them?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Batophila aerata seems to be a minor pest, rarely producing more than cosmetic
    damage. It's probably best to let nature control them rather than intervene.

3. robyn

I would rather not eat this pest though, and could see them in our raspberries over the past month.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. robyn

thank you!

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Are you sure that you have flea beetles and not sap or picnic beetles (Glischrochilus fasciatus)? I see the latter in and on berries of various types frequently, but flea beetles seem to be more interested in leaves.

7. robyn

Hi there,
    I just assumed it is the Rasp. Flea beetle larva. They are tiny white grubs, but very thin and worm like in shape, and are only about 1/2 - 1/4 mm. long.
    The raspberries themselves look fine until they are picked and then I notice them on the inside. The leaves do not appear to be affected.

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you only see the larvae and not the adults, they are probably neither flea beetles nor sap beetles. Around here small white grubs are most likely to be the larvae of fruit flies, specifically Spotted Wing Drosophila. I don't know if you have anything similar in the UK, but I notice that the raspberry beetle is a problem there. If the grubs are really only a fraction of a mm long, then they are likely fruit fly larvae. If you meant a fraction of an inch, then raspberry beetle larvae are most likely.

9. robyn

Thank you!!!! I am actually living in Victoria now. They really are very tiny so are probably fruit flies.

Thanks very much!