managing flea beetles organically

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Kevinm, May 29, 2004.

1. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Hi everyone,

I've noticed the telltale signs of flea beetles on my newly transplanted tomato plants.

Any suggestions for managing them without pesticides? Home remedies?

Thanks!!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would suggest using Diatomaceous earth, aka silicon dioxide. Technically it is registered as a pesticide but, it is of physical detriment to insects rather than being a poison, and yes it is completely organic.

3. Randy Norsworthy

Randy Norsworthy Member

I've had the same problem but solved it by using a "catch crop", for me that turned out to be radishes. The flea beatles devoured the leaves on the radish but the root was still quite edible. More importantly they never touched the young tomatoe plants.

4. pyrethrine / rotenone

Pyrethrine and Rotenone are listed as organic pesticides to flea beetles. I have the beetles in my eggplants. I just bought pyrethrine today and have yet to use it. Does anyone know for sure that they are completely organic?
    Thanks.
    J.R.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From the Pesticide Information Project:

For more information:

Pyrethrins (full text from the Pesticide Information Project, which was carried out by the Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and University of California at Davis.

Make absolutely sure you do not use it near waterways, and note that it is highly toxic to bees.