Monkey puzzle tree

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Candie, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Candie

Candie Member

I have a monkey puzzle tree in my backyard and I was told by a state inspector that someone might want to purchase these seed pods for researching and I have been unable to locate anyone who would be interested in these seed pods. I don't know too much about these trees but if anyone knows of anyone who would be interested I would greatly appreciate any info. I have been looking for a few weeks now and I am not getting any response in the right direction. PLEASE HELP !!!! My email address is oscarytabithavilla@hotmail.com. Thanks, Tabitha

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wonder why this State Inspector would consider these seeds, researchable? It's a fairly common tree in cultivation. Perhaps thats why there's no interested partys. The tree is a Chilean native and perhaps there's someone who grows South American plants/trees that can assist in whatever you need.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Candie

Candie Member

I noticed you are from the Vancouver Island. I am down in Florida and I was told that there are only 5 of these trees in this state. That is probably why he considers them researchable, I am not sure. I don't kow much about this tree and am trying to find out anything I can on it. It seems to me from what I have been able to find out, maybe I am wrong, that this tree doesn't like the heat. Please let me know. I am considering growing them on my own.Maybe that would be a mistake here in Florida not sure.

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Interesting ... only 5 trees. Well I can see the reason for the interest. In order to get seed you'll need a male and a female tree. There's plenty of these in California so perhaps it's the summer heat coupled with the humidity in Florida that limits their cultivation.

5. Candie

Candie Member

I have been doing some research of my own and you know I am not too sure its a monkey puzzle tree. I just believed the inspector and didn't question it but I looked up to seed and the seeds don't really match up to the seed pod I have falling from the tree. The seed pod looks like that of a bunya tree not a monkey puzzle tree. However it is called a false monkey puzzle tree. I have to research some more on it. Do you know anything about a bunya tree? This is all new to me.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bunya is Araucaria bidwillii, a close relative of A. araucana, native to Queensland. It is much better adapted to the Florida climate than A. araucana.

7. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

8. puzzleme

puzzleme Member

I live in Tampa, Florida, and we have them throughout the neighborhood.