Identification: fungus on exposed oak tree roots

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by RJ100, Nov 19, 2005.

1. RJ100

RJ100 Member

I was wondering if someone here recognized this thing. It erupted last autumn, too. In the exact same spot.

I would have removed the leaves from the photo, but it has literally begun to engulf them.

Not sure if the whiteish fuzzy stuff beneath is part of it, or is something else entirely.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I have just been looking at polypores, bracket fungi, for the Paraguayan fungus thread and it occurred to me that this might also be one. The odd growth pattern due to the fact that it is growing on a stump covered with leaves and not from the side of a tree. There is one called the Oak Polypore or Piptoporus quercinus. The surface of such would be hard. Look at the picture at http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/news/newsinfo/polypore.htm for a comparison.

Harry

3. wrygrass2

After looking more closely at the above website and doing a search for an American variety I tend to think that the above species is from Eurasia and not located In North America, although I might be wrong in that respect. You might try the following website for 'Chicken of the Woods' or Laetiporus sulphureus, though. Its at http://www.mushroomexpert.com/laetiporus_sulphureus.html.

Harry

4. RJ100

RJ100 Member

That's it!

I was suprised to read that it's "considered a delicacy". I think I'll forego eating it, though, and stick to visual admiration.

I was also concerned to read that it's possibly parasitic.

"In the east it is restricted to deciduous hosts, most commonly oak."

The exposed root it's growing on is about 3 feet from the base of the truck. It is pretty badly scarred by my lawnmower's blades, so I figured it had died from the damage. Now I'm wondering if the tree is in fact a host.

"Fruiting bodies are often not formed until years after the fungus is well established, so when present, they indicate significant internal defect".

Crap.

Anyway, thanks Harry! I appreciate your help.

5. RJ100

RJ100 Member

6. wrygrass2

Depending on how long the damage has been done to the tree, it could have been entry point for the fungus to get its toehold. I take it by your post that the tree is toast in any event. Though, if it's still appears relatively healthy, you might try and cut the root, but that would probably be a futile exercise if the tree seems to be distressed to begin with. I was under the impression that the fungus only existed on wood that was alread dead, but I might be mistaken thinking that. The white powdery substance around the exposed root is the actual fungus of course, so you might dig about a bit and see how far it extends. Also cut a lower branch on the tree and see if you can see any of the fungus there too. You might have to look with a magnifying glass to pick up the white fibers. Finally, you might check with an arborist and see if there is anything that they might do or suggest as a remedy.

Harry

7. RJ100

RJ100 Member

The tree, I believe it's a red oak, seems fine.

I'm seriously considering cutting the root. My thinking is that either it's dead wood or it will be dead relatively soon. Worse case, the tree looses an infected surface root.

I'll post another pick if it produces any interesting features. At the moment it's just a single demented rosette.