Grape Vine cuttings

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by justjoan, Aug 26, 2003.

1. justjoan

justjoan Member

It may not be the perfect time to take cuttings, but, will I have any luck doing these cuttings at this time of the year. It's a now or never sort of thing. An old restaurant that has been closed down for a couple of years has just been sold, and the vines there right now are loaded with grapes... I just want to take some cuttings and I have the blessing of the realtor to "go ahead". Any suggestions for doing this at this time of the year?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

you might get away with it, if its a now or never what have you got to lose? :)
    take a semi hardwood cutting, about three inches in length with one set of leaves left on at the uppermost buds. Dip into strong rooting compound (sorry, I can never remember if it is #1 or #3 that is the strong one) about 1/4 and set into straight sand. Try to give some bottom heat to the substrate, shoot for temp of about 78 to 80 F for about four weeks. If rooting occurs (and resist the temptation to tug on them to see if they are rooting) set them outdoors to cool and go dormant naturally. Once dormant heel the pots in under sawdust for winter. Yank them out in March or so and set them into soil or grow them on in the pots and see what happens. Just for the record, grapes are normally grafted to hardy rootstock, this is done generally in March or so just prior to bud break, seal the grafts with wax and tape. Keeping the cuttings moist and using a dome of some sort to keep the humidity up are also good ideas.

3. bbbell

bbbell Member

Jimmyq I Am Not A Expert But Muscadine Are Harder To Propgnate Than Any Vine I Know Of. If You Fail Try Again I Have Been Trying For A Good Three Year Or More All I Know It Has To Be Done Under Mist Tried 550 And Got Four Goodluck

4. bbbell

bbbell Member

seems like it might be best to just buy them i have had 3 vines that made it in 3 years trying to root them

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN Member

Look around vine and see if it has rooted itself. If not dig what root you can and plant. I have moved 20+ this way and it works. If it comes from root stock it should be true to the vine, right?

Tom

6. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

If it is a grafted plant, whatever you get from above the graft will be true to the variety you have been looking at. Whatever you get from below the graft (including the roots) will grow true to the rootstock variety. If you are digging up seedlings they will be true to neither.

Ralph

7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN Member

this is true, i didn't know it was a grafted vine. thanks for the re-alignment.

tom