monkey-pod trees in Kentucky

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by AngieP, Oct 22, 2007.

1. AngieP

AngieP Member

I am a native of Western Kentucky and am now living in Pearl City, HI. I am wondering if anyone knows if I can plant Monkey Pod trees back home and if they will do well. My husband retires from the Army in five years and we are building a house back in the woods, WAY back in the woods! If the trees will do well in Western Kentucky, we would like to go ahead and get a few going before we get home. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: I'm new to this!

Hi, I'm afraid not. The only place in the continental US where these will grow are Florida and (possibly) California. Kentucky is far removed from where it would even be worth a heroic try, I think (defining heroic as using any of the techniques some zone-pushers use to care for plants in the winter, e.g., covers, shelters, heated lights, etc.).

Pithecellobium saman from the Silvics of North America site

That being said, it might be helpful for some of the people on these forums to know what it is that appeals to you about the monkey-pod tree, and perhaps they can suggest plants with similar qualities to what you desire.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Styphnolobium japonicum (Pagoda Tree, a.k.a. Sophora japonica) often has a fairly similar crown shape, if that is what you are looking for.