Ways to avoid cats go into vegetable garden?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by chibiko, Dec 1, 2009.

1. chibiko

chibiko Member

Is there any good ways to avoid neighbors' cats going into our vegetable garden as their littering place?
    In the past, I've seen a plant called Coleus Canina "Scardy Cat" that said can keep cats away. But I no longer find them in Vancouver (unless I went to the nurseries at the wrong time to pick them up).
    Well, we've tried using moth balls under the tree and it seemed to work and kept them away. But we don't want to use moth balls in the vegetable garden.
    I hope to look for some natural remedies that can keep them off.
    Thanks!

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

After experiencing the neighbor's cats using the flowerbed RIGHT NEXT TO my back door as a giant litter box (I suspect they invited their friends over) I laid 2 pieces of wire mesh screening flat on the dirt, one on top of the other. Mesh not window-screen but large grid, about 2" square. Water could still get through, plants could still come up (few survived the urea soak!!!) and the cats relocated the toilet facilities.

If you have a large number of pine cones, you could try 'mulching' with those---I have read that some folks have had success with them as a 'CAT-BE-GONE' technique.

4. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    I am currently using a product which is known here as "deer netting." It is meant to be used at the tops of fences, but I'm using it both underground and on top of the ground to keep animals from destroying my bulb garden. It works like magic - nothing wants to walk on it OR chew through it, as the little strands don't feel like safe footing, or aren't chewable, I suppose!

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Cats won't dig into the ground if there is anything in the way. I keep the many neighborhood cats (and my own) away from new plantings by tossing twiggy bamboo branches on the ground. This is quite effective, and it's free. Any kind of twiggy branches should do as well. Another thing that works is chicken netting set loosely on top of the ground.

6. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    I like to use my rose prunnings around newly planted areas in my vegetable garden. Once the plants are established I remove them and put them into the compost.

7. chibiko

chibiko Member

Thanks for all the good ideas.
    I shall try them. ^^

8. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

The neighbours and their cat used to live in my house and yard. Something is using my back yard. I saw the cat sniffing around my house and think it's the problem. Do you think that the 2" wire mesh will deter whatever from dropping on the lawn? What if I dig up the grass and put plants? A fence won't likely stop that cat.

9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Freshly-dug earth is a cat attractant!---'Ooh...so nice and soft and comfy! C'mon, guys!'--- I love cats, but NOT in my flowerbeds! Or their 'end products', either.

Mesh update: it worked best when I first put it down. It was kinda wavy and uneven, and so made it wobbly to walk on as well as tough to dig through. Over the winter it flattened out, and the cats lost any shred of dignity they once possessed by simply leaving their deposits directly ON the mesh. (Non-verbal commentary there, I'd say.)

So...whilst cutting back my raspberries last month, I had the brilliant idea to lay the canes all over the affected (afflicted) area. Ha! Try THAT on for size! So far, this technique has worked well.

However...the cats have moved their alfresco litter box to another spot in my flowerbed. Perhaps barbed wire should be my next step!

10. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

11. Ken Scheffler

Ken Scheffler Member

All cats are welcome on our property, no matter how many or what they do. I guess it's relative, but in our case cats are beneficial because they deal with rodents and hereabouts the main species of birds that they seem to prey on are invasive.

12. o 2 joy

o 2 joy New Member

Has anyone had any luck using coffee grounds, chili powder or orange peel? Does human urine work? I'm having a real problem with our neighbors' cats. It is not pleasant cultivating the dirt around my young beets and then coming across cat poop.

13. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

i buy cheap cayenne pepper at the dollar store and give it to my neighbors to keep my cats out of their flower beds. Seems to be working.

14. o 2 joy

o 2 joy New Member

Thanks Barbara. I will give that a try. One of my facebook buddies suggested human male urine. Have you heard about his tip at all? I'll try the cayenne pepper. I'll sprinkle this in my vegetable garden - I assume it won't have any affect on my veggies?

15. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Forget the human/male urine. Who knows what could be lurking in any human waste. barb