Identification: Brown Stemonitis? Help! Make it stop! lol

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by FlantasticHerbs, May 23, 2014.

1. FlantasticHerbs

FlantasticHerbs New Member

Help! Recently purchased a Brand new wood planter from Lowes along with a ton of new herbs (Spearment, Catnip, Lemon Balm and Greek Basil). Went out to water yesterday and found these little dudes all over everything (planter, plants, and even the herb description sticks):
    PicCollage.jpeg
    I know many of you wrote they are not harmful unless ingested. Well these are on edible plants so what should I do? Do you think it's the actual Planter or possibly the potting soil I used? Any help is greatly appreciated! I live in Houston and it's been pretty decent weather here; cooler than normal. Just FYI!

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow that is a prodigious fruiting!
    I doubt Stemonitis is harmful if ingested, but in any case if you wash it off your edibles with water that will be fine: It is on top of your plants etc, not growing from inside them. There is nothing you can do to stop this myxo from fruiting, and when it is not reproducing you will not be able to see it. I recommend enjoying it while it is there, sort of a gift of a visit by an interesting lifeform, as it's not going to harm you or your garden.
    Noting the weather conditions can be useful: I expect it would either be choosing to send out spores under the most optimal weather conditions for dispersion, or as a last gasp when good weather conditions are coming to an end.
    It could have arrived via planter, or potting soil, or travelled there from elsewhere. Seems likely that both the moisture and nutrients of a new planting would be helpful to it.

Hope that is useful,
    cheers,
    frog

3. FlantasticHerbs

FlantasticHerbs New Member

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's pretty trippy to look at. Before I knew it was there I went out to water at dusk and all this yellow/brownish smoke started billowing up from the planter. At closer glance it looked like dirt at first, or dry ice tea powder particles. Then by next morning when I had better light I saw all the threads of hairlike stuff everywhere! As long as it isn't poisonous or harmful to the herbs then no worries! Thank you!

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  4. timenard

timenard New Member

I, too have experienced a growth of this on the leaves of several impatien plants I purchased from Lowes only 2 weeks after planting. They appear to "smoke" when watered. Spore dispersal? Should I be concerned about respiratory ingestion?