Mystery plant and unknown sedum

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Renew, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Renew

Renew Active Member 10 Years

A mystery plant with new red leaves has sprung up in my garden. The first picture shows it with some heuchera flowers at the top right. The second photo shows it with the Heuchera 'Sweet Tea'.

The other photos are of an unknown sedum with small blue leaves and bright pink flowers. It does not normally sprawl so much, but was smaller before and so more mounded. The sprawling could also be caused by too much shade. The photo with Sedum 'Autumn Bliss' gives you the contrast in leaf colour and leaf size with the unknown sedum.

Can anyone identify these two plants?

Attached Files:

2. Axel

Axel Active Member

Sedum (Hylotelephium) sieboldii.

3. Renew

Thankyou I have looked up Sedum sieboldii, and it does seem to describe my plant, however the description mentions that the leaves are borne in three. This plant has somewhat opposite leaves in 2's, occasionally there is 1 leaf alone between 2 pairs of leaves. Also regarding the branches coming out from the centre, sometimes branch as well.. I should mention that the plant is deciduous.

4. Axel

Axel Active Member

What about Sedum cauticola?

5. Renew

I have been looking around the web and have come across Chyptotaenia japonica 'Atropurpurea', could this be the mysterious red leaved plant? My neighbour has a similar plant, but it's leaves are not serrated. He did warn me to contain the plant if it is the same as his. I read on the web that it rapidly self-seeds and so becomes invasive.