Crepe Myrtle

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by cargorilla, Oct 13, 2010.

1. cargorilla

cargorilla Member

I have two Crepe Myrtle trees in my front yard. One is healthy, the other one (about 30 feet away) has not really grown at all in the 6 years I have been in my house. I pollard the healthy one every other year and it is growning and thriving. The other just sits there, looking sickly, with a black powder over most of the trunk and limbs. It does grow leaves and grows a paltry amount of flowers, so I know it is not dead. Does anyone know what this black moldy looking stuff is? Is it a mold? Some kind of a disease? I am starting to see some of this stuff on my healthy Crepe Myrtle, but it does not seem to have affected growth yet. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

The black powder is sooty mold cause by the exudate of sucking insects or scales.

3. cargorilla

cargorilla Member

I have not ever SEEN any insects on the tree, and it is everywhere. Is that really all it could be? If so, what's the solution?

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Sooty mold can be a serious problem. I trust you're doing true pollarding, cutting the limbs back to the same place every year.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Is there any other big plant or tree above it? Like a birch? Linden? Other?

Just thought it might be worth the mention in case the Crape Myrtle may need no attention regarding treatment.