How to prepair area to plant

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by JOE MIANULLI, Aug 17, 2009.

1. JOE MIANULLI

JOE MIANULLI Member

H can i improve drainage to plant my new meyers lemon when i dig the hole in my yard. This is in central fl.

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Planting a citrus tree is a straight forward procedure. Dig a hole the same size as the root ball, and no larger. When planting a citrus tree, Meyer lemons included, never add any amendments such as peat moss, or compost to the hole, or the back fill material. Back fill the hole ONLY with the dirt that was dug when making the hole. Form a water retention circle around the tree large enough to hold at least 5-gallons. Add a stake to support the tree erect in the wind, and keep the tree from swaying causing root injury. The biggest mistake people make when planting a citrus tree, is to dig a very large deep hole thinking they are helping their tree grow. Because of the frequent watering a new tree requires, large holes actually form a "lake" which the tree's root system sits in, causing root rot and tree death. Also, never put mulch or grow grass around a citrus tree, it is best to keep the ground under the branches clear and in dirt. - Good luck to you and the tree. Millet (1,248-)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  4. JOE MIANULLI

JOE MIANULLI Member

Thank you very much , boy was i going to make big mistakes. Just what you adised not to do that what i had in mind.. Now ill plant my tree with convidance........joe

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

As a Florida resident you can contact the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) Extension Bookstore P.O. Box 110011, Gainesville, FL 32611-0011, telephone 352-392-2411 and purchase the 40 page booklet titles "Florida Your Dooryard Citrus Guide", by Jim Ferguson. One hour of reading will bring you up to speed on how to care for your tree. The information in this book will do wonders for your tree's fruit production. Take care. - Millet (1.247-)