Overwintering Amorphophallus Konjac bulbs

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ihazplant, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ihazplant

ihazplant Member

The basement area of our house is no longer cold enough to overwinter my Amorphophallus Konjac bulbs. In fact, last year, they started to flower at the end of January and then several bulbs would not produce a leaf in summer. I do have an unheated detached garage, but am not sure how to care for them if I stored them there.

What alternatives do I have to keep my bulbs protected in our Illinois winter climate?

Grateful for all suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

'
    As far north as Kansas City and parts of Pennsylvania these can stay in the ground year round. If well covered they will likely do OK in the ground where you are located. "What you are seeing is quite normal. The chances are high the tubers will not produce an inflorescence again next year after they produced one this year. Either way, the lack of a leaf after producing an inflorescence is not uncommon. The tubers will also shrink dramatically in size as a result of all the expended energy (starch) in order to produce the inflorescence,

I would consider continuing to store them as you are or try leaving some in the ground. Plant them at least 6 inches deep and cover with thick mulch during the winter.

As Amy referenced my website, check that for more details.

Steve
    www.ExoticRainforest.com