source for cover crops in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jennybc, Oct 7, 2008.

1. jennybc

jennybc Member

I've just built some raised beds intended primarily for vegetable gardening. Weather and work commitments dictate that I won't really start to garden in these beds before next May or so. Therefore, I'd like to plant cover crops in them now, to keep the weeds down and at least maintain the soil quality.

But where to find such seeds in Vancouver??? I managed to find fall rye at Gardenworks on Granville. Has anyone seen other cover crops here in town? Such as vetch or red clover? Am I misguided?

Thanks in advance,
    Jenny

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The store on granville is an art knapps as far as I know, since last year when Gardenworks closed up shop. Most local garden centers should have a selection of fall rye or fall legume mix available as seeds for cover crop.

3. suz12

suz12 Member

4. fern2

fern2 Active Member

A family member planted a ton of alfalfa as a cover crop and she started seeing sprouts within ~48hrs!! I don't know where she bought the bag of seeds but I could certainly ask if you're interested.