PonyTail Palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by hgiljr, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hgiljr

hgiljr Member

Hello all. I have a PonyTail Palm that is about 3 years old. At least it has been with me for this amount of time. Recently I saw that it was beginning to become yellowish and the leaves if that is what they are considered would easily fall off by just touching them. As if the tree was dying or rotting. I decided to replant it since it was next to a large palm tree so I thought it was not getting enough water/fertilizer. I replanted into a pot and it has gotten worse. I checked the roots when I replanted and seemed fine. They looked like a spider web around the trunk. If that is normal not sure. Either way, what am I doing wrong? I know they should not be watered much and need sunlight. Bad thing I am in Miami where it constantly rains during the summer. I have attached a picture. Any advise would be great. What fertilizer should I use?

Attached Files:

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Was it pot bound?

3. hgiljr

hgiljr Member

When I first bought it, it did come in a a plastic pot. I replanted it into the ground at the front of the house, next to a larger palm tree (which as you may know the larger palm tree roots grow all over the place). I believe the larger palm tree was not allowing the ponytail to grow or restrict the roots since when I removed it the ponytail's roots where just in a circle around the base of it. I have replanted it into a larger pot in a mix of soil, sand and rocks to allow for the water to drain properly. I have been told to use as fertilizer 20-20 or 14/14/14 (not sure how many 14's, but mainly for bonsai trees). Not sure if this answered your question about pot bound.