Autumn Blaze Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by edpsx, Aug 7, 2008.

1. edpsx

edpsx Member

I recently purchased two Autumn Blaze maples from a local tree farm here in Texas. They delivered and planted the two trees for me and at the time the trees looked great. They are both 2.5" and were doing fine for the first week I had them. They were both container trees and they assured me they could be planted fine even though it was 100 degrees outside.

A week later the trees started showing signs of fatigue. The leaves were getting dry and very wilted looking. I water the trees 3 times a week for 30 minutes each along with the standard sprinkler system I have that waters them for approx 10 minutes on the other days.

I will take pictures of the trees and post them tomorrow, but Im wondering if this is just transplant shock and if Im over reacting too soon. I really want these trees to do well and have researched as much as I can to help them along as they firmly plant themselves into the ground.

One thing I havent done yet is to put mulch around the trees base to aid in water retainage. Is this something that should be done as well? Most planting sites show this in their planting steps.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If these were planted with intact field soil balls that became dried out at some point the watering may not be penetrating the original rootballs.

3. edpsx

edpsx Member

So do you think it needs to be lifted back out and the soil around the rootball needs to be checked? They watered the soil in really well when they planted them. Im going to try and attach a picture of the tree that I took real quick this morning with my phone.

I'll try and get a better picture of them when I get home from work.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. edpsx

edpsx Member

The grass issue was before I realized the system was set to 6 minute watering timer instead of the 15 I had setup. By the time I realized it the sun had already done its damage. With it being so hot lately I cant put any fertilizer down for it yet so water is all its getting. It was actually quite a bit worse and has sprung back since the watering time got adjusted.

The dirt they used to fill in the hole was the dirt they dug out of the hole originally which got watered back in very nicely. There isnt any burlup sack or wire mesh on the rootball either. I put down mulch today and double checked the rootball top and it does appear to have some circling of the roots towards the top. Im attaching pictures of the tree close up as well as the mulch I put down. No fertilizer has been used as of yet.

Attached Files:

6. MapleMadness

MapleMadness Active Member

A couple of quick observations.

1. That's a pretty small planting whole for that large of a tree.

2. Shame on the nursery for not mulching the tree in the middle of summer in TX.

3. I'm not sure what your soil is like, but that's a pretty deep planting. Typically I would not want the root ball collar that deep, especially if you have any drainage issues in your soil.

7. edpsx

edpsx Member

I was wondering about the hole depth/width myself. Would it be smart to replant the tree? or would that do more damage than good?