Orange Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Maus12, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Maus12

Maus12 Member

Big news for me, I live in Las Vegas and my dwarf orange tree gets blossoms in spring but then fall of, this summer was rough on it and so I pruned it quit a bit this fall. Well it is now full with blossoms and new shoots. What got me, as I was straitening out some branches I got truck with some thorns. I did not know it was grafted on to rose stock. We never learn out. Has any one gotten a citrus tree full of blossoms in November?

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Citrus grow thorns for the most part, there is no rose stock. To my knowledge I don't think its possible to graft onto rose, or other plant species?

Citrus can bloom at any time really. I always have some in bloom at some point throughout the year.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The thorny stems may be growth from the rootstock. Do the leaves on the two types of stems look different? Are the petioles the same shape?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  4. Maus12

Maus12 Member

Thanks to both of you, for your reply, yes the shoots come out of the rootstalk and no the petioles are different.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Growth from the rootstock is usually removed so that the plant's energy is directed towards the scion.