British Columbia: Planting a cutting bed for an August wedding

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by aimeejewell, Feb 11, 2011.

1. aimeejewell

aimeejewell Member

Hi there,

I have been gardening with my Mom for as long as I can remember (in Prince George), but this year I have a garden to call my own for the very first time (in Coquitlam)! AND I have a wedding to plan for! I would like to augment the purchased flowers around the venue with ones from my own garden but I am not overly familiar with gardening in the lower mainland.

I was hoping that I might snag some tips on what would works best for an august wedding in a cutting bed. I have a couple of different gardens to work with in yards of friends and family so shade/sun doesn't matter, I can work with any suggestions! We aren't picky on color - just bright beautiful blooms is all we are looking for. Ideas?

Thanks!

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

You should be able to have a colourful mix of annuals and perennials for your August wedding. Some possibilities: Liatris (perennial with purple plumes), Crocosmia ('Lucifer' is a brilliant red), Phlox, Stocks, and Nicotiana for scent; for rich orange, reds and yellows: Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan), Gaillardia pulchella (Blanket Flower), and Trumpet Lilies and for blues and purples: Perovskia (Russian Sage) or Salvias. There are many more possibilities!

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Dahlias! Hydrangeas. Cosmos. Larkspur.

4. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

Sweet peas!

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

..on a practical note...the seed racks are filling-up in local garden centres. There are cut flower mixes in most seed producers' line-ups. Read the plant list & make sure that the colours you want are included. Dahlias & hydrangeas will not be in there :). Sweet peas have "easy care" varieties these days that are truly easy to grow. These should be grown separate from a mix & need a trellis or south facing fence.

The flower mixes in gereral terms need a good soil, well-drained, full sun, but not super-fertile as if you were growing prize cabbages. As I recall, these mixes are seeded into the bed in early May, but don't take my word for it...read the package. One of the mistakes I have made repeatedly is seeding too thickly "Gosh, there aren't many seeds. They will NEVER fill up that space. I think I'll scatter a bunch more." - that's me talking to myself. Mistake. Follow the instructions, or plant even less than they say. Overcrowding does not lead to good flowers.

What a nice idea BTW.

Lysichiton

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011