help with deer resistant plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jolene, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jolene

jolene Member

I just moved into a new home and need to reno the front garden. I'm looking for new ideas for planting in a mostly shaded area and deer resistant plant material.

J

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Deer can be kept away from plants through the use of physical barriers. Fences must be at least 8 feet tall, or bordered on either side with deer-resistant shrubs to increase the horizontal jumping distance.

Products are available that make plants taste bad, and others that recreate the aroma of a nearby predator.

Use plants that deer don't like. These include those with sticky or hairy leaves, thick leathery foliage, and minty/lemony/medicinal smells.

Here are some plants said to be deer-resistant:
    Bleeding heart
    Daffodil
    Foamflower Foxglove
    Larkspur
    Lavender
    Lily of the valley
    Monkshood
    Ostrich fern
    Rose campion
    Scented geranium
    Snakeroot
    Yarrow

Evergreens:
    American holly
    Boxwood
    Cryptomeria
    Fir
    Juniper
    Spruce
    Viburnum

Many sites online provide information and advice on this subject. As many of them state: A hungry deer will eat almost anything!

3. jolene

jolene Member

Thank you so much!!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Glad to help.
    Good luck with your garden, and welcome to the Forum!

5. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

I noticed that West Coast Seeds sells a deer-resistant wildflower seed packet - that might be fun to try.

I buy a lot of stuff from Veseys, and they indicate which plants are deer resistant. I think their search form might even let you specify "deer resistant" as one of your search criteria.

Saltspring Seeds' flower page lists Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria) and Sweet Rocket/ Dame's Violet (Hesperis matronalis), both of which are deer resistant.

I hope this will give you a bit of a starting point.

6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. rhodogal

rhodogal Active Member

I live on the Saanich Peninsula and also have deer problems. Do you go past this garden to your front door or garage? Have you thought of something fragrant, or even better an early bloomer? The deer don't nibbled on my Sarcococca ( sweetbox ) & it's fragrance is wonderful this time of year, even better they are evergreen with berries. Also, I have a large number of hellebore that don't seem to appeal to deer and they are all in full bloom right now. There are some wonderful new doubles available at local nurseries. Another bonus to the hellebore, they will tolerate a bit of cold weather as forecast this week. Have fun!!