Lily (?) white with dark purple star-shaped centre

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Oct 7, 2010.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I spent so much time trying to identify this flower that now I really want to know what it is. I'd have thought just looking for white lily purple centre (or center) would do it, but not even close. Maybe it's not even a lily? I thought Zephyranthes seemed about the right size and shape, but I can't find anything that looks quite like this.

I don't need to know the cultivar name - just what in general to call it would be good. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. wcutler

Thanks, Silver Surfer. I'm glad I asked - you'd think by now I'd know what gladiolus is, but no. It never occurred to me that I didn't. At least I thought it was a bulb.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I grew a pot of this this year. What a fragrant treat--quite a reward for planting one inexpensive bag of corms. Definitely will plant this again.

6. wcutler

I didn't notice the fragrance, Eric - I'll have to see if I can find them again.

This thread is full of surprises. The only thing I thought I recognized (that it would be a bulb) is not correct, and now from a link from the Wikipedia corm article, I see the gladiolus flowers that I might have recognized.

Thanks for the info about the corm, Silver surfer. I see that it was in the first-mentioned Wikipedia article that it talks about the bulbs being lifted and stored for the winter. Imagine being mis-informed by Wikipedia! That they're corms doesn't seem to be in dispute, so I edited the Wikipedia page.