Too Many Blossoms on Meyer Lemon?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rustym, Dec 1, 2006.

1. rustym

rustym Member

My Meyer Lemon Tree that I purchased from a garden center in September has 3 or 4 stems growing from the base. They appear healthy and have an abundant amount of flower buds. I've removed a few small fruits from clusters, keeping one or two here and there. Should I go ahead and remove some of the many new flower buds before they open and fruit and well that help in getting the branches stronger?

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

It is your choice to make as far as removing fruit in preference for growth. The blooms will have a nice fragrance and the tree will only set what fruit it can support-- you can remove additional fruit later if you still prefer growth.

Skeet

3. rustym

rustym Member

I appreciate your reply. That makes sense, and we can enjoy the fragrant flowers. I was concerned that some of the small branches have as many as 6 or more clusters of 6 to 12 buds in each cluster.

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I'm not an expert in plant physiology, but I don't think that flowers take that much of the tree's energy, especially compared to the fruit. Enjoy the fragrance, then prune fruitlets of you want to encourage extra growth-- I wish I had that problem.

Skeet