transplanting mature grape vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by DanHei, Nov 25, 2004.

1. DanHei

DanHei Member

I have a grape vine (green seedless) that is probably 10-15 years old. It is about 3 inches in diameter at the base. Is it likely to survive transplant?

I have seen furniture made from grape vine root and think that they can be pretty big by the time they branch out. I am thinking that I cannot get enough roots in a 2-3 foot diamter root ball for the vine to survive.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

You will only get a very small fraction of the root mass in 2-3 ft., but it should survive. Obviously next year will not be one of it's best, and you should be ready to remove most of the fruit once it is set so it can concentrate on rooting, but otherwise go for it!
    Take some hardwood cuttings as insurance and start them in the spring as well. If the original takes well, then you'll be well stocked for gift plants the following spring.
    try www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html
    Ralph

3. DanHei

DanHei Member

grape transplant

Thanks for your opinion. I am going to try the transplant.

It's not preserving the species I am concerned about but the invested years. I just dread the thought of losing the years we waited for the first good harvest.

4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN Member

When transplanting remember, do not let it dry out during the summer months, water twice at least weekly. Roots need to be kept moist but not wet. No fertlizer the first year. Maybe some the 2nd. (10-10-10)

tom