First seen this spring but what is it?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by lmpifer1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. lmpifer1

lmpifer1 Member

My family and I go geocaching and now that the snow has almost melted it is time to get out and about. I found this plant with its drooping flowers amongst some leafless bushes in a park. Looking inside the flower was such a surprise; more white and green... just beautiful. However after scouring through the Michigan and other wildflower books back home I'm at a dead end. I hope someone can assist with the flower/plant identification. The first flower blooms after a long winter are a great treat!

Attached Files:

2. NatureFiend

NatureFiend Member

I actually know this one, I'm so excited! These are Snowdrops, or Galanthus nivalis.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's a Galanthus, but may not be G. nivalis.

4. NatureFiend

NatureFiend Member

Oh, okay! Thanks for correcting me.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Although all of more or less same general appearance these are differentiated from one another using certain specific characteristics. A local friend is growing over 60 kinds at this time.

6. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Think you are correct - congratulations!

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

These leaves look too broad for Galanthus nivalis, more like G. elwesii or one of the other larger Snowdrop species.

8. lmpifer1

lmpifer1 Member

Thanks to everyone. I was so excited to see this when everything else is so dried up...but saw a few green sprouts along the trails yesterday so hope is alive!

Next time I have a plant question should I take a picture peaking inside the flowers as well? Maybe that would have helped a bit more. Thanks everyone again!

9. lmpifer1

lmpifer1 Member

I just finished an article describing the differences between Galanthus nivalis and G. elwesii. The author, Kathleen Dickson from Fine Gardening, notes that there is a height difference as well as leaf width difference as well. The Snow drop I saw was about 6 to 8 inches tall. It seems that it is more likely a Galanthus elwesii. I was unaware of the possible 60 varities too. Thanks everyone for your assistance. I've learned a lot.

Dickson, K. (n.d.). A flurry of snowdrops: For blossoms at winters end, plant a drift of bulbs this fall. Fine Gardening, 51, 39-41. Retrieved from http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/planting-snowdrops-galanthus.aspx