Bird of Paradise?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jorielle, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jorielle

jorielle Member

I bought this plant (photo 1) two years ago thinking it was Bird of Paradise. But when I planted it in the soil outdoors under full sun, the leaves all turned yellowish-brown in a couple of weeks. My neighbor told me that this plant should be kept indoor. It was too big for me, so I set it under the shade, outdoors. In a few weeks, it looked fine again.

I am still wondering if it is Bird-of-Paradise (Strelitzia). From what I read, they are supposed to do well in full sun to partial shade. I have a bird of paradise reginae (photo 2) and the leaves and trunk look a lot different from this first plant. Maybe it is a different species of Bird-of-Paradise, the Giant Bird-of-Paradise, or the White Bird-of-Paradise? But why can't it handle full sun?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

At a guess I would say it is Strelitzia nicolai and it handles full sun...

Ed

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it came out of shade it burned because it had been in shade, this not necessarily indicating it was a shade-loving species. Any leaves formed in a lower light level will be liable to burn when exposed to a higher light level, regardless of the kind of plant. ONe way to deal with this is to set up something next to a newly planted specimen that casts a shadow over it from the side, from which it can grow up out of in time. Old leaves formed in shade will be protected but new growth will have been formed in the sun and be suited to the new position. When there is enough new growth the shading can be taken away.

4. jorielle

jorielle Member

Thank you both. Ron's explanation is reasonable. I bought the plant from a indoor warehouse, so when I planted it under the sun, the leaves got burned. I will follow your suggestion and move it back to the sun. Thanks.