Potted Grape Vine Question

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Unregistered, Dec 5, 2003.

1. I just bought a dormant brenchgraft grape vine. I am wondering if it will grow and produce, if I plan it in a large pot. Can any one tell me? Thank
    Inexperience

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Yes, if you plant your grape in a large enough pot it will grow............providing that you properly care for it with adequate water, fertilizer, and sunlight.

Is this particular grape an ornamental or a fruit producer?

The difference being that ornamental vines, such as Crimson Glory Vine (Vitis coignetiae), are grow strictly for foliar color and climbing characteristics...............they don't produce! If your grape is the common species (Vitis vinifera), which is supposed to produce fruit, then yes it should..............as long as the flowers can get pollinated. Wind and insects do an excellent job of this. However, if you are growing this potted grape vine indoors, then fruit production is going to be a hard task to master!

T. Shane Freeman

3. Blooming grape vine?

Hi everyone...
    Stupid question...love the fruit but don't have a clue how to care for it and it didn't come with much instructions.

Having never seen how the grapes are actually formed...what color does the flower have? And how soon after winter do they actually start to blossom? I've noticed some tiny green bunchs which I think could be the start of grapes but could turn out to be more leaves. Can someone tell me?