Please help identify this wildflower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Wildflower 7174, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Wildflower 7174

Wildflower 7174 New Member

20141017_191819.jpg

flower_20141017_200005.jpg

flower_20141017_201053_small.jpg

Just found these in Indiana growing wild.. They are approximately 3-4 inches tall. No leaves 6 petals lite purple/ blue in color. Thanks in advance.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps Colchicum autumnale.

Welcome to the Forum!

3. Axel

Axel Active Member

Crocus kotschyanus - a commonly planted fall blooming species (that seems to have escaped cultivation).

4. Wildflower 7174

Wildflower 7174 New Member

thank you for your help..
    why do you think they have escaped cultivation?
    mine when I planted them in a pot died,, however I believe that sense they are bulbs that I can get them to grow again. I have had no luck looking them up.
    do you have any ideals?
    should I let them dry in a dark cool place?

thank you again

5. Axel

Axel Active Member

Yes, bulbs tend to be deciduous, which means they eventually die back to the ground after a period of active growth. The bulbs (corms in fact) you have planted might be just dormant (fall is a good time to check whether they are alive or not - and to repot them) but there's a chance that they have died due to overwatering/rotting or to being allowed to dry out completely. If they are alive, spring blooming crocuses (as well as this exact fall blooming species) will develop leaves in late winter or early spring, you have nothing to do apart from leaving their pots outside for the winter.

6. Chauncey Gardiner

Chauncey Gardiner New Member

small bulb like crocuses, Narcissus tulips, gladiolas, have larger bulbs, not onion. Its flower is like a lily, or passion fruit,clematis, leaves like geranium , maple and it is at night or dark it looks like a strawberry. The way the flower is closed is similar to a pumpkin or cucumber. Bulbs bury themselves deeper every year and it could take a while for it to surface good idea is to remove store them before winter like potato they will have grown extra bulbs. Snowdrops are different many grow back on their own every spring.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

What?
    It's a crocus, as said.