Marlo

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Any one out there had any experience with this cultivar? bought this in 2010 and since then heve struggled with it every year. Was actually debating wether or not to dispose of this at the end of last year after another feeble showing of a few small redish /green leaves.

Thought i would give it one last attempt at reviving so cut back heavy last year and to it's credit in the spring it did produce a lot of budding but no leaves grew, just basically remained in bud,so finally around 8 weeks ago i completley removed all the growing medium in which it came from the nursery (lot's of coir and perlite) which i am not overly convinced with as a medium, then washed the root system and replanted using 100% moss peat with 5g of slow release fertilizer and a handful of cambark and again to it's creidt it's produced some very attractive variagated leaves which seem to have good growth and good variagation and also lot's of new buds are appearing.

Also it's been resituated to a semi shaded (had it in full sun) area which it seems to like, so this has now been reprieved for the next few years and hopefully we will get some better growth, but i would be interested to know if anyone else struggles with this? and what have you done to rectify problems, have heared it can be quite a challenge to grow.

Attached Files:

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Maybe change soil in pot or plant it.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I repotted mine in late spring after it failed to get going, changed the growing medium completely, 50/50 John innes no 3 and pine bark nuggets and it has put on a lot of growth and filled out some what, mainly whippy growth which I have trimmed back. I will try and take a pic and post.
    The compost it came with did not appear to be free draining and was too wet when removed from the pot late spring.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

When looking at the picture, I came to the same conclusion before reading what the two previous posters suggested: change the mix to a much more free-draining soil...

5. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

60 pine bark 20 peat 20 percent of that white stuff

6. ROEBUK

Paterdo1 Jaybee63 and AlainK thanks for all the comments and yes i think the concise opion is basically change the growing medium!! Must admit i have done the same as well for Butterfly, Higasa yama and Autumn moon and all are looking so much healthier now than they were a few months back. These are the only four of my Acers which i have had any concern for this year every one else has lived up to expectations more or less.

Soon be Autumn and we can all look forward to the stunning colour changes.

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

8. Jaybee63

What a wonderful read and great photos, enjoyed it so much Imhave subscribed.

Thanks for posting.

The author prefers Marlo over Taylor, but for me it's Taylor every time in our climate. Never had any problems with Mildew as the author has expirienced with Taylor.

9. ROEBUK

Very good blog and interesting reading,must admit i do prefer the Marlo over the Taylor the later always seem's a little paler in the colour variation's compared to Marlo.

My Taylor comes out every year OK but just doesn't grab your attention as much as the Marlo tends to, will just see if it continues now i have found what it likes to live in and the correct lighting position. Out of all my variagated Acers the best every year for me with out doubt is the Ashai Zuru just tends to get better with age,the colours this year were amazing plus you always have the super fall colouration to look forward as well.

10. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i have buy one last winter and never see one leave with variegations :( with some variegated cultivar of japanese maple the method is :no prune when the maple have only buds,but after sprout and only branch without variegations ;no more fertilize ,beacuse variegations remain only in "stress" conditions (but watering regular) best expo is shade or partial shade sun in morning ,shade in afternoon.with this method i have good result with Fujinama nishiki,Taylor and Maimori.about Higasa yama
    http://politicacerierockroll.blogspot.it/2014/04/blog-post.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  11. Jaybee63

Pictures attached of my Marlo. It made a late rally with growth after a slow wake up in spring and has has a light trim.
    Mine is in full sun and has never experienced and burn, same as with my Higasayama.

Attached Files:

12. Jaybee63

Second pic

Attached Files:

13. ROEBUK

Jaybbe63 Nice looking tree hopefully mine will continue to revive, still coming along nicely.