Inherited Grapevine, please help!

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Linzee, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Linzee

Linzee Member

I have recently inherited a grapevine on some property that my husband's family owns. A gracious "gift" from a family of farmers, I feel very obliged to do something with this "heirloom". Apparently, the vine was planted some 20 years ago by my husbands grandfather with the intention of making wine (and grape juice)for his family. Shortly after planting the vine, he fell ill and passed away. Sadly, nothing has been done with this vine since his untimely passing and serves as a sad reminder to the family of what "could have been". For the past 5 years or so, I have noticed large beautiful clusters of grapes; both red and green. So, I have delegated myself to try my hand at grape growing and I am in desperate need of some guidance. I have started to conduct my own research and realize the first thing I need to do is trim the vine back, and soon! Anyone experienced at trimming overgrown vines that could lend suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate any words of advice! Thanks in advance.

2. weird20grapevines

weird20grapevines Member

I found the best way to learn how to take care of grapevine is to work at a vineyard and/or take a class if you can... or if that doesn't work just look online and read different pruning guides and learn for yourself. There are an endless amount of guides! Just Google it!

Drew