Need Advice .....Autumn Blaze Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by djones2992, Sep 23, 2008.

1. djones2992

djones2992 Member

Greetings,

I am in need of some care advice for my Autumn Blaze maple. The tree has been planted approx 1.5 months and, has recently (about 2 weeks) started to look bad. And, it is progressively getting worse. This tree was a 25 gal. container tree, purchased from a local tree farm in north Texas.

It already has seen a large fluctuation in temps. We did hit 100+ for about a week and then went back down into the 70's- 80's.

Care I have been giving it:

15 Gal of water every 2 days via Gator bag jr.

Used one dose of oscomote (per tree farm instructions)

Used one dose of Superthrive (per tree farm instructions) - I think it's snake oil ;)

Anyways, attached are some pictures... And, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David

Attached Files:

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like typical wind/sun burn on a newly transplanted tree. Obviously 100 degree temps on a new transplant are going to cause stress. You also got some BAD advice on fertilizing the tree! You should NEVER fertilize a new transplant in full leaf like that in the middle of the summer. I would continue to water (but don't drown) the tree and let it go into dormancy. Hopefully next year it will have recovered. Be sure not to let it dry out this winter, but don't keep it soggy. If you have dry spells, give it a good soaking every two weeks or so as long as the ground isn't frozen. Even though it has no leaves, the plant is still growing and trying to get established. Dry, cold winter winds can literally "freeze-dry" a plant that is not well tended to. A little TLC the first couple of years in the ground can make all the difference.

3. paxi

paxi Active Member

well there are many around here with much more experience than me but my two cents:

1) one single dose of osmocote and superthrive probably has had no ill effects, but would hold off on any excessive fertilization going forward, whilst the tree is under stress.

2) I can't quite tell from the picture but there looks to be a depression under the gator bag which may he inhibiting drainage. Make sure you have a nice "half mound" that drains well.

3) If that is leaf burn in the picture (this is where I really need some help from the experts), it may look unsightly, but is not dangerous per se. Just make sure you provide a relatively constant level of moisture without being water logged. The amount and frequency should not be preordained but instead dictated by "conditions on the ground" (no politics please :)

4. djones2992

djones2992 Member

Thank you all for your advice, and replies!

I did forget one other thing, our yard/soil consist of sand mixed with ground soil (my guess is for foundation leveling). Some areas have 8-16 inches of sand

Understood, we can have some dry/cold weather in North Texas. (We get the craziest weather.)

Ok, no more fertilizer.

I am a touched embarrassed on this one. :) ***I need to mow***
    the Bermuda grass loves the extra water I am providing for the maple.

Once again thank you all :)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaves have poor color, as though nitrogen deficient. Burning of edges indicates something like a problem with hot dry winds or mineral salts in irrigation water, maybe fertilizer burn.

If tree farm is in similar part of state with similar soil and irrigation water implication is this selection will grow under your conditions. If not, tree may not be suited to your environment.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

You have your tree planted too low in the ground. It should be planted high and mounded up around the root ball to provide proper drainage
    These trees will give great pleasure if they are given the right conditions to thrive

7. djones2992

djones2992 Member

I really thing it appears that way in the picture. The grass is as overgrown the surrounding area.

I'll take care of that and re-take some pictures.

8. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well, hmm. This was planted a month and a half ago, in full leaf, and has seen days at 100 F. I think it looks bloody wonderful, actually! You could drop a 16 ton weight on it, but aside from that you've given it the monty.

It might be a little low, but x freemanii is not palmatum, it's not that likely to get pseudomonas in Texas, in fact it's tough as old boots.

I think it will look poorly this year, maybe even shed leaves early, but probably be fine next spring.

I'd water differently though, maybe twice as much but less often. (4 days if it's hot).

Could be a problem with soil compatibility but it'll probably adjust.

-E

9. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Just chiming in...

Yes, Texas weather can do strange things to maples! Your 'Autumn Blaze' is a tough customer though and should be fine if properly cared for... The "burned" leaf edges I expect when transplanting a large tree at the hottest part of the year (no I dont think fertilizing was a good idea), but the leaf color I find worrysome. The leaves should be a good, vibrant, mid-green color - even with the crispy parts.

As you never just want to throw nutrients and fertilizers out there willy-nilly, I might suggest you contact your local Ag Extension Office and ask them for a soil testing kit. The kit will tell you how to sample the soil properly and where to send the kit for analysis. It's super easy. It costs usually about 10-15 dollars for the analysis and its REALLY worth it. Armed with soil info you can grow just about ANYTHING because you will know exactly what your plants need that your soil isn't providing.

FYI - Superthrive isn't snake oil - although the label sure reads that way!!! Its just b vitamins that help the tree establish roots after planting. It is a good product, just rediculous packaging. Ignore that.

Anyway, your maple shouldn't be terribly picky about drainage (that is the major concern for Japanese maples) but do make sure it isn't sitting in water somehow. From the sounds of it though - you might have more trouble keeping it watered in all that sand! If the soil drains right through you might want to fill that gator bag every day. The fact that bermuda grass is loving it is a sure sign of dry soil conditions. If this is the case I would start piling on rings of organic matter around the tree - under the mulch. Be sure to keep the soil away from the trunk though. Actually, you can form the soil into a dish or bowl shape to help funnel rain water to the root zone. Again, just make sure the tree is planted at the same leve it was when it was in it's 25G pot - too deep and the tree can suffocate and too shallow the feeder roots at the top get dried out and die.

Definitely try to create a nice mulch ring around the trunk under the gator bag. Maples don't have "bark" per se, but a thin "skin" instead that is easily damaged when you have to mow or weed whack around the trunk. (Poplar and Ash are the same way.) So the ring will help keep roots cool and moist, improve the soil quality as you add compast and such under the mulch, and keep you from having to mow or weed, thus protecting the trunk from damage. Your 'Autumn Blaze' will be a happy camper for sure.

No more Osmocote in the ground though - in my humble opinion - it does work well for container use at nurseries because they water a couple of times each day, helping to maintain soil temps and washing residual salts through the root system. (I grew thousands of 'Autumn Blaze' for a big nursery in FL.) In the ground though, extended release fertilizers like Osmocote tend to release heavy doses of nutrients in the hottest weather - when is EXACTLY when you DONT want it (because it will burn up the leaves like you are seeing now).

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just maybe some soil tweaking. Planting in hot weather is really tough and is very likely the reason you have crispy leaves. No biggie. It should look happy when it leafs out again in spring.

Good choice for a lawn tree. They have a great "candelabra like" branching habit and fantastic fall color. Very nice. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

11. djones2992

djones2992 Member

Thank you all for spreading your advice and knowledge. Being my first home and also, one of my first trees I have a lot to learn. But, I'll be d@mned if I let this wonderful Maple down.

Thanks Again,

David