indoor Meyer leaf drop i'm new please HELP!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by lindseyedavis@comcast.net, Nov 13, 2006.

1. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You were probably correct not to fertilize a stressed tree, but now that it is showing signs of growth you can. The slow release fertilizer is always there and only gets released when you water-- it is just more simple to me.

Skeet

2. LukeOut!

LukeOut! Member

A thought. I've been getting into tea (White, red, black, green, mixes), and with all these lemon leaves dropping and no fruit, can the leaves (citrus) be used for steeping? They are also very fragrant. ?

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I just like the slow release since you only have to add it every 3 to 4 months. You add the slow release according to the size of the pot not the size of the tree.

Skeet

4. dv002i

dv002i Member

Hello,

I'm pretty new so I wanted to give thanks to everyone for your knowledge and taking the time to answer the questions of the novices out there. This site is truly amazing! Anyway, I have a Meyer lemon tree that I am very worried about. My plant started dropping leaves about 3 months ago at an increasing rate. After 1.5 months I found this site and took some of the advice given for possible causes of the problem. Namely, I thought maybe the soil was water logged so I repotted with a mixture of 40% CHC and 60% potting mix. I also ran several gallons of water though the soil after repotting in the case of salt buildup. I then moved the plant out of a corner window to a more central location a few feet from another window fearing that the soil temperature was falling below 60 deg F. This was all 4-5 weeks ago. Based on what I read the damaged leaves should continue to fall for a few more weeks, and they have. But I am still loosing leaves. The plant started shooting out new growths and flowers about 3 weeks ago, but the old leaf loss continues. I am worried that I have not found the problem. After 5 weeks I would have thought the leaf drop would have stopped. I started fertilizing two weeks ago with 1/2 recommended strength. I have been measuring the soil temperature regularly and have not seen it fall below 65 deg F. I thoroughly water the plant about once a week when it seems very dry and the water appears to drain well with the CHC mixture. The plant sits in an east facing window, getting lots of sun in the morning and plenty of indirect light during the day. I have a lime plant only a few feet away and it appears to be happy and healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I love this plant and really hope to nurse it back to health. I have attached several photos to give a clear idea of exactly what is going on with the plant.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Bare Branches.JPG

Fallen Leaves.JPG

Distressed Leaves.JPG

Flowering.JPG

New Growth.JPG

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Hi Daniel,
    I would not worry about the older leaves falling, if they were damaged by the cold root scenario the tree may have started an abcision process that cannot be reversed. The new leaves look good and as long as they are healthy you have probably turned the corner.

Be careful on the watering-- don't water unless the soil is dry at least 2-3 inches deep.

Skeet

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  6. tori

tori Member

This thread has really helped - I've had similar problems with leaf drop and am now getting buding and a some browning branches (twigs, really). But mine is still holding on to a few of its lemons - should I keep those on, or pluck them off so it puts its energy into budding?

And if the budding process has started, should I re-pot this in a mixture of CHC and potting mix or let it go? I only used an organic potting mix to start, and some basic organic fertilizer the last time I repotted it.

Thanks-

7. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You were correct. I just asked so I could give correct advise. Slow release is safe and will not burn (if not excessively overdosed), and will provide continuous supply for 3-4 months. Providing soluble fertilizer when watering works too-- it just takes more work. Adding soluble granular to the container is most risky--it is easy to burn plants if over used--but works fine if used correctly.

Skeet