Fungus gnats

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by gwenn, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Active Member

Let us know how that works out.

Meanwhile, I'm having a terrible time with scale. I just can't seem to get rid of them for good. I guess your fungus gnats are my scale.

2. roachslayer

roachslayer Member

Just a final update here and some advice.

Removing gnats:
    I finally killed mine. All the methods on this thread did NOT work for me. I finally added mosquito dunks into my watering pot, and then watered my plants. gants are now dead.

Note:
    1) I do not recmend doing this if you plan to eat the fruit. It will have to sit out a season since this can possibly get into the plan systemically.
    2) I do not recomend doing this with mosquito dunks for effectiveness. They are designed to treat the SURFACE of the water, not the water itself. But if you let it soak a good while (many days) before watering, some of the poison does get into the water and I believe that is why my gnats are dead.

So I have yet to fine an EFFECTIVE and proper method for removing gnats, but at least I save 4 of my 6 plants from dying.

Preventing gnats:
    Problem: CHC medium (coconut husk) retains so much moisture, gants love it. you cant keep the top dry, which would prevent gnats (they dont like a dry surface).

Solution: I have not tried this, but am planning to: put weed screen on top of your CHC medium. Put 1-2 inches of sand on top of that. Thats it! gnats should now avoid your plant completely!

The idea here is that when watering, your CHC will keep the citrus happy, but the top 1 or 2 inches is sand, so it will DRY fast - cant retain the water. The gnats will not like this at all. they dont like sand, and they dont like dry.