Red Russian Garlic

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Miry, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Very nice!

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Miry - which company did your landscape for you?

did you design it or did the company design it for you

what type of stone is on your pathway?

it's beautiful - what a difference between before and after!

3. Miry

Miry Member

Thanks for your comments.

I did the design myself and then I talked to 5 different landscape people before I decided who would do it. The rock close to the house is suppose to represent a stream at least in my eyes. It also keeps plants away from the cedar house.

I did pick out the rock as well. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. I can find out if you wish. It does have a green hue to it due to my cedar house and dark green trim. The selection on the coast is not as good as Burnaby for sure. There is a rock place on Byrne Road that has such a great selection. They do have a web site.

I actually designed similar rock formation when I lived in Burnaby. I always picked a rock that matches the colour of the house so in Burnaby the house was a light yellow beige colour so I picked a Colorado rock which had hues of yellow and brown so it was perfect.

The product between the rocks is a polymer that turns to almost rubber. It is usually used to bind sand in between pavers. The first time it didn't work so well as the landscaper didn't put it on thick enough so it was done again recently. It looks great now. Hope this helps.

4. Georgia Strait

I ask because I recognize your location - and have noticed during my visits to the community (driving by on the hill road) how much you have improved your little cottage home - it looks great!

yes please - I would like the name of that color of rock - it looks really nice. Did you obtain it from the local landscape supply up the road there?

5. Miry

Miry Member

Walkway

Thanks for the nice compliment regarding the front of the house. I have done a lot of work on this house, particularly the outside. It was let go for too long so the bushes and trees were totally out of control.

Yes I purchased the rock here on the coast from Deluxe Landscaping in Sechelt.

The rock is called Pennsylvania Blue Slate. It will be more expensive here than in Burnaby. Deluxe Landscaping would purchase this rock from Northwest Landscape, 5883 Byrne Rd.

You were saying you come to the coast, so do you own property here?

6. Georgia Strait

hi Miry - I noticed on the recent newsletter from West Coast Seeds (out of Ladner BC, in Greater Vancouver area) has their organic garlic "sets" for sale now - as this is the time of year to plant at the coast. I recall years ago near our cottage out in Rbt Crk, there was a man well-known for growing garlic in his back garden - we'd go over and buy some when he harvested. I can't recall his name and the property has since been subdivided. (in other words, they built a new house on the old garlic patch ; )

http://www.westcoastseeds.com/product/Herb-Seeds/#sthash.jX7PvRxd.dpbs
    their website page starts with a funny saying - something like - a nickel will get you on the subway, eating garlic will get you a seat ; )

7. Miry

Miry Member

Your email was too funny! I will check out the web site for West Coast Seeds

I usually go to the Sechelt market every Saturday. There is a farmer there who sells a lot of garlic. It was his garlic that I bought and replanted last year. I did get lots of garlic this year but they are not very big. I try to eat raw garlic every day but I must have melted brie with it..................(:

The Sechelt Market is great! There are a lot of organic farmers there with a variety of veggies as well as a lot of craft items by other vendors. I particularly love the finger potatoes. Also today their library which is right nearby, are having a sale on today so you can buy a brand new book for $2.50 or 5/$10 with a wide selection.

I saw garlic for sale here in Gibsons called ceramic? Have you heard of this type?

I am moving my strawberry patch to another area and was planning on planting my garlic there. Is there anything special I should add to this raised bed so I have a good crop of garlic next year and should I plant them soon?

8. Georgia Strait

i think when you say "ceramic" - I wonder if you might mean "Porcelain" - it's avail as certified organic starter (for planting by you in Sept here at the coast) - from West Coast Seeds in Ladner BC (see URL link above)

yes the market in Sechelt is great isn't it - and the local farmstands - there is so much on the Sunshine Coast - a hidden gem, back to the old farming, forestry, fishing heritage (like the old jam cannery on Henry Rd, near Henry Reed organic farm and the Green Room farmstand - among the many others in that beautiful rural neighbourhood - i like all the "honour system" pay boxes, it works!) ...

i discovered some really delicious tomatoes for sale at the Jardin nursery that is just off Pell Rd in Roberts Creek - just the Gibsons side of the provincial campground on Rat Portage Hill (Hiway 101) --- they sell all kinds of colors and sizes and flavours of perfectly ripe tomatoes - hand picked from their own crop - and the nice lady lets you taste the smaller ones before you buy. I wish she had basil to go with her ripe tomatoes. Then all you need is the buffalo mozzarella - which I found at IGA gibsons recently for about 8 dollars - pricey but worth it with good tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic reduction!

9. Georgia Strait

ps - if you have not yet been to Jardin de Flores nursery in Roberts Creek - you must go - I can't find a website but they do have a facebook page which anyone can see (ie you don't need to be "on" facebook or to be their friend) ---- the photos are really what it looks like and the lady is very knowledgeable and responsive about ordering plants even at this time of year when we approach our prime wet warm planting season for shrubs etc.

right now - go for the ripe tomatoes!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jardin-de-Flores-Nursery-and-Farm-Roberts-Creek/393250897417292