yellow spots on cucumber leaves

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Deb from Montana, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Deb from Montana

Deb from Montana Member

This is our first year with a greenhouse. We are located in northcentral Montana, and the house is 20 x 28 with Solex on the walls. Everything is doing really well, except for our cucumbers. We have 2 plants in each plastic barrel and the plants are about 6 feet tall right now. We have a wire cage around each plant. The top 1/2 of each plant is doing great and making fruit, but the bottom part is worrying me. The leaves are turning yellow - some are just spotting, but several are completely yellow. I am removing them as they turn yellow, so now the bottom part of my plant is nearly without leaves, though the stalks are staying healthy looking. This started a couple of weeks ago on a different cucumber plant . . . the leaves turned yellow on the bottom first, and soon we weren't making any fruit. We trimmed that plant back until it was only about 6 inches tall with no leaves left. At this point in time, that plant is doing much of anything, so I think that was a bad decision. We did start another two plants just in case, and they are just peeking through the soil. I can't see any bugs on the plants (and I have had some thrips and aphids on my peppers and eggplants, so I'm getting really good at spotting those bugs!). Any ideas from the "growing group" will be greatly appreciated - thanks! Deb

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Hi Deb from Montana, I'm Barb from Billings in the early 40's. I find that cucs, squash, pumpkins and all like kinds seem to have folage that looks like hell, but still seem to put out fruit. Other's on this forum can give you better advice on the why's and wherefores of why this happens than I.

3. Deb from Montana

Deb from Montana Member

Thanks, Barb. I'm hoping that "the uglies" is my only problem!