The unsplitting Split Leaf Philodendron??!!

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Creeping Jenny, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

A few years back I got a big Split Leaf Philodendron for my birthday. I have cut off many pieces to root over the 3 years Ive had it but every plant I get has no splits on any of the new leaves. Whats up with that? Is it still a Split Leaf Philodendron even though its not? lol!

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

A photo would really help. Lots of people call plants "split leaf Philodendron" that are not Philodendron at all. Some are Monstera species and do not develop the divided (fenestrate or pinnatified) leaves until they are very mature. If you are growing Philodendron bipinnatifidum (often called Philodendron selloum) it should have divided by now. If you will post a photo someone will figure out what you are growing. There are well over 1000 species of Philodendron in the world so a common name is not a lot to go on.

I can tell you for certain, constantly dividing the plant is going to inhibit the ability for the plant to mature. Philodendron species will simply stay in the juvenile form if they are constantly cut. And the juvenile form of just about all Philodendron, Monstera and related species is simply oval.

3. Creeping Jenny

the first photo is a plant I grew from the original plant (shes gone now) followed by a photo of a leaf from it. The third photo is the newly rooting plant.

Now that I think about it.... the original plant had way more splits per leaf then the second...

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

4. photopro

Your plant isn't a Philodendron. Instead, it appears to be a juvenile Monstera deliciosa. The plant is found in Mexico and Central America as well as parts of South America and lives along the edges of streams. In the wild it is quite rare but is common in cultivation due to a process known as tissue culture.

I can just see one leaf beginning to produce a fenestration. Fenestration is the Latin word for window and the holes that will eventually be produced are known as fenestrations. The plant is obviously still very immature which is likely due to being cut or lack of light and water.

The plant can produce leaves close to 3 feet but you will have to stop cutting it to allow it to mature. It will also need a strong totem to climb which can be nothing more than an old piece of log. The soil should be fast draining and kept damp but not soggy. The species needs bright light to mature so if you are growing it in a darkened room that is also part of your problem. I've seen these grow up to 50 feet high into a tree in South Florida and they produce leaves close to 3 feet wide but never 6 feet as some websites claim. If you want it to grow big you will need a bigger pot to support the weight of the plant and totem. Also, don't try to use normal potting soil. That holds too much water. Mix your own with a mixture of compost or peat, Perlite, orchid bark and moisture control soil mix. If you give it more light and water it often in a fast drainign mix you should see good growth.

This link will give you more information:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera deliciosa large pc.html

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve, some sort of Monstera more than likely deliciosa. You may want to give it more light as I think it is searching for light. They will tolerate nearly full sun

Ed

6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I like your plant hanger:)

I have this plant too, always wanted one but could never find one until around a month ago, it's still a 12" baby.

7. photopro

Bluewing, I can't make this offer to a lot of people but I have around 5 or 6 of these plants that need a home. All are still juveniles and are just beginning to produce fenestrations. If you want another it is your plant for the cost of shipping. I'll make the same offer to others in the United States as long as the plants hold out. I'm about to have a major surgery done so we'll have to work out the shipping. Just send me an email. My email address can be found at the bottom of my homepage.

8. Creeping Jenny

Thank you! Im super excited about this... I love huge plants!!! Im going to go get a new bigger pot for it and put it in my south facing dining room. right now its in a north facing bedroom, happy and healthy, but I would love it to get bigger.

I would love one! Im in Canada though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  9. photopro

Jenny, unless you have someone in the U.S. who can accept it for you and get it across the border it would likely be destroyed. If you have someone I can send it to that will get it to you, just look up my address on the bottom of my homepage at www.exoticRainforest.com

10. Creeping Jenny

It probably wont work out then. But thank you so much for the offer! Your website is great by the way. Very informative. Beautiful plant collection too!

Thanks! They left it behind when I bought this house! Its great.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  11. photopro

Thanks, and sorry I can't mail you one. They are being requested quickly and right now I only have a few left. But I'll gladly give them to good homes.

12. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i just sent you an email, steve!! hope i'm not too late!

13. Bluewing

Jenny,

Good deal!
    The planter looks like you could probably hang another plant with a hook from the ring on the bottom, maybe even two small ones.

14. Creeping Jenny

That would look neat. Id have to move it out of the kids room though for sure.

15. Creeping Jenny

An update: I have to get a bigger pot for it, but in the mean time I moved it into a sunny spot. Well let me tell you, much perkier!! Thanks everyone!

16. Bluewing

Very good! Glad to hear of the improvement!

17. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Hi everyone, I too have a Monstera Delicosa and it was in a 4 inch pot, I just transplanted it into a bigger pot witha fern pole. I am going to turn my old truck garage into a greenhouse so it will have a spring and summer home. to grow huge in, by the way it is a juvenile, it does not have any adult leaves yet. It has a root tha is growing out of the lower leaf axil and Ihave some u- shaped nails to attach it to the fern pole. I live in Pesotum, IL not macomb, IL any more.wyatt

18. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Hello dogseadepression!

Here's my Swiss cheese plant...I am looking forward to him growing nice and big and becoming the focal point of whatever room he ends up in:)

Good luck with you greenhouse project - it sounds ace!

And just in case you're still around JennyCreeper (just love the name bw) how is your Monstera doing now? Good I hope!

Attached Files: