bonsai possibly mislabeled, help?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nubu24, Aug 23, 2010.

1. nubu24

nubu24 Member

i recently bought a tree/shrub from a local nursery. they had it labeled sageretta, but when i got home and tried to do research online about it, it seems as though the plant doesn't exist. I've seen 2 things where someone mentions it, but there aren't any pictures or any facts about what this is. there's another plant that looks similar to it, called sageretia. i'm not quite sure what's going on here. i plan to make this into my first bonsai but i want to make sure i'm not going to kill it just out of lack of knowledge about it...

because the picture is too large...
    http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/love_sick_poem/?action=view&current=Untitled-1.png

im pretty sure that it's sensitive to direct sun. (after i got it i left it on the patio, now i think there's a few scorched leaves that weren't like that before). I don't want to test how sensitive to water it is.

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Eugenia aggregata?

3. nubu24

nubu24 Member

i don't know, it closely resembles it. identifying it may have to wait to see if it grows berrys.

4. skunkyjoe

skunkyjoe Active Member

It looks to me like some dwarf Ficus ( Fig ) variety . Perhaps Ficus Microcarpa ? Its just a guess .

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ficus leaves are alternate not opposite as in this specimen.

6. nubu24

nubu24 Member

ok, i went back to the store that I bought it from and a guy there told me that the plant i thought it was is it.