Please help me identify the Plant (Moss/Fern/fern moss) in the Images.

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sakshi, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Sakshi

Sakshi Member

I bought this dried plant at an exhibition from a farmer/villager of sorts selling decorative/ornamental plants.

He had these plants' roots dipped in water and were really green and would have looked wonderful if mine had turned out like his.

He was selling their dried out form clasped in ball and tied together. He said that I'm to completely immerse them in water and keep them that way for a couple of days and then they'd turn all green. After that I can either immerse just their roots in water and change the water weekly (by which they'll last for two years at least) or plant them in a small pot (and it'll live forever!).

The sample plants he had were so green and beautiful (I wish I'd taken a photo of them so bad!) but mine seems to wither (gets browner not that its very green right now either) every time I take it out of water and immerse just its roots in water.

I'm afraid to plant it now that it dies on me everytime I take it out of the water. And the water STINKS like a huge sewage.

Can someone please let me know what this plant is named, I searched the we and this looks a lot like fern to me. Getting a name would greatly help me in researching how this plant should b grown/cared for, etc.

I'd be very grateful on any suggestions on planting it as well.

Thanks!
    Sakshi

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Sakshi

Sakshi Member

Hi Silver Surfer,

Thanks a lot for pointing the Rose of Jerico to me.

It does look a lot alike, however I'm not that convinced.

The leaves are curling upwards from the roots, and the plant I've got seems more like a fern curling from the tip downward and outwards to the roots. Whereas the photo on the wiki shows the leaves curling upwards and inwards.

I hate to be talking like an engineer and not be able to express what I want to say in biological terms, but I am only about 60% convinced that the plant I've got is indeed 'Anastatica hierochuntica'.

Thanks for the reply though!

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. Sakshi

Sakshi Member

Hi Silver Surfer,

both these are uniquely beautiful plants!

Thanks for pointing them to me.

But I'll still have to vary..

The plant ball I've got is not from a single root, they're individual twigs/plants, each with one or two leaves and its own root.

Both the rose of Jerico and the fake one seem to be this whole plant ball from a single root.

But I guess the leaves of the one of the plants in this link look just how the guy had his nicely green plant propped in his glass of water.

http://floresyjardin.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rosa-de-jerico.jpg

I'm very grateful to your suggestions! Thanks a bunch for letting me know about these plants. Before I got the plant ball from the guy I had almost no knowledge about either mosses or ferns or any of the miniature plants.

After searching the net I've found some amazing varieties of plants... In India where I live, Angels' tears or baby tears (Soleirolia soleirolii) is found in abundance and grows anywhere whereas I read that having a carpet of baby tears is very expensive.

Thanks a ton for your reply, Silver Surfer!

This is a very helpful site.