Here’s a question you probably won’t see asked much..lol

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by SUNRIZE, Apr 25, 2009.

1. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

When I lived in South west Colorado we have there these huge Humming Bird Moths (Sphinx Moth) when I first encountered one I wasn’t sure exactly what it was it flew around the yard acting like a hummingbird and since I had never seen a daylight moth I was intrigued. I’ve done a little reading up on them and found they are a destroyer of tomato plants since moving here to Florida I have not seen one since… : ( Anybody here know if these insects live here in central Florida and if they do what would be a good choice of plants to grow to attract them? When I lived in Colorado I didn’t plant any thing unusual in the yard (no tomatoes) they just seem to show up and buzz around. .. Thanks for any input… : )

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd try Googling likely phrases like "florida moths" etc.

3. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and I've seen them several times around my yard, at first I thought they were bumble bees on steroids, but my husband told me that they were hummngbird moths and were fairly common. They are in the family of Sphinx Moths. Try planting Honeysuckle, they love the nectar.