ornamental grasses

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by pbh, Jul 8, 2008.

1. pbh

pbh Member

I have an outdoor grass which grew in a pot for several years. This year I transplanted to a new flower bed enriched with fertilized soil. From a smallish variegated leaf base it sent up 6 tall (8ft high) very slender bamboo like segmented stems, which then unfolded at the top into a beautiful, symetrically cascading shower of delicate, golden coloured spear shaped drooping heads, that glow and glisten in the sunlight. Due to the slenderness of the stems and their extreme height, the grasses constantly move and sway in even the gentlest of breezes.

Can anyone help me identify this plant?

PBH

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

it sounds like a beautiful grass. do you have a photo to post? a photo of the seed heads and of the whole grass would be very helpful.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Foliage description doesn't fit at all but otherwise it sounds like the flowering of Stipa gigantea.

4. pbh

pbh Member

Hi Ron B.

Stipa Gigantea is close, but it is not the plant I have and am trying to identify.
    Can you tell me how to post a picture. As they say it is worth a thousand words.

PBH

5. LilyISay

LilyISay Active Member

When did it bloom?

6. pbh

pbh Member

Hi Lilyisay,

Grasses bloomed in June with a bright yellow flower.

PBH

7. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hi PBH,

I moved the posts regarding posting a photo to the forum feedbacks and how-to's. Here is the link. I am not sure what the problem is. Hopefully someone else can help.

Raakel

8. pbh

pbh Member

Hi Raakel,

Thanks for the reply, but no, moving the link didn't help. I have tried disabling all blockers but nothing works. The Attachments Option still won't function when I try to use it.!

PBH

9. LilyISay

LilyISay Active Member

Possibly it's Sporobolus wrightii? The flowers on it look quite golden to me- I've never seen a variegated form, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Definitely a picture would help.
    L