Protection from PINE BEETLE INFESTATION

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Jodan, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Is there anything I can do to protect my giant pines (pondorosa and lodge pole) from the pine beetle infestation we are experiencing, here in Pemberton?

Someone mentioned one could inoculate the tree, but with what, and how?

Please, can someone help me?
    I have 20 that are showing browning and it's really worring me.
    I need to circumvent any possibility of their contamination.

Thanks very much

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

HI

If there is sawdust at or around the base of the trees or holes in the trunks then it is all ready to late.

Redding (browning is generally phase 2)

HOWEVER A PIC WOULD HELP .

In Your area mites are at an all time high.

They would be good news / at least there are ways to treat them

Regards Doug

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I take it that mites are a predator?
    Carol Ja

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Unfortunately the Pine Bud Mite/Pine Needlesheath Mite is one of the many stresses that can pre-dispose a tree to beetle attack. The miticides (like Sevin) are not readily applicable to large trees except by aerial spraying and I wouldn't hold my breath (actually I guess you should!) for that to happen.

Ralph

5. timbercheap

timbercheap Member

The only way to protect your trees that I know of is to find a distributor for mountain pine beetle pheremone packages (I'm not sure that it is available for domestic purposes). When a tree is infested with enough pine beetles such that additional insects would mean that the galleries would intersect, the beetles give off a pheremone which tells other beetles "this tree is full". It seems to me that John MacLean at UBC faculty of forestry was involved with a company to produce these types of attractants/repellants. I don't think there is much else you can do execept hope for an extremely cold winter which kills the brood. However, if you see pitch tubes exuding from the main stem of the tree (this is the tree's response to infestation by beetles) it is too late.

In the forestry setting, the management practice in the past has been to attract as many of the beetles in the area into a selected stand of trees and then harvest the trees, or kill them with MSMA and burn the infected trees. Of course as you have seen, this strategy is not particularly effective for epidemics.