Climbing Nasturtiums in container

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by alannahbr, May 3, 2007.

1. alannahbr

alannahbr Member

I want to plant climbing Nasturtiums (grown from seed) in three containers and the dimensions of these containers are 24" long, 6.5" wide and 6" high. I have read that these new seedlings should be planted 20" apart so does that mean that I should only plant two per container? I will be growing them on my patio and hope that they will spread upwards onto the patio rails. I have some plastic 'chicken wire' but I am unsure if the plants will trail onto this as the holes are rather small. I suspect that I will have to run some fine wire up to the top of the rails so the plants can 'cling' to these.....or do I have to attach the plants to these wires as they grow upward?
    I do know that Nasturtiums grow best in 'poorer' soils so I have bought some ordinary garden soil and I will refrain from adding any organic fertilizer.....certainly not something I am used to doing!
    Thank you, in advance for any advise!
    Alannah

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, they grow quite large so that number of plants may turn out to be plenty as they develop during the summer. Otherwise, you would plant them closer to get a full look sooner, as is often done with patio pots and planter boxes.

One thing I wonder is if these boxes will be big enough to keep them going all summer.

Tie them onto the support to get them where you want them.

3. alannahbr

alannahbr Member

Dear Ron,
    As I have just returned from a week in Vancouver, B.C. I have only just read your reply message...and thank you very much for your response.
    You may be right about the size of the pots I will be using but I will give it a try this summer and will post a message sometime in August as to how well the Nasturtiums
    flourished! I think that I shall just plant two per container.
    Thank you again.
    Alannah
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.