Identification: need help finding out what this is

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by peardog, Aug 8, 2007.

1. peardog

peardog Member

Hi, does anyone know what the name of this plant is?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

G'day peardog...it looks like a spathiphyllum to me, has it flowered yet?

Ed

3. peardog

peardog Member

Thanks alot for your reply Ed.

I don't know if it has flowered yet, I just picked it up.

I don't really know much about spathiphyllum (that's peace lillies, right?), and mabye there are lots of different kinds..

but they usually have fairly glossy leaves, don't they? It's probalby not very clear on the photo, but these leaves aren't glossy at all. Actually, when I first touched them I thought the plant was artificial because they are rough in a way that almost feels like cloth.

Also, it seems it's alot of individual plants, or stems at least, and the leaves come out of the stems, not all from one point near the ground as with the kind of peace lilly I know.

At first I thougth it is some kind of grass related plant, but I haven't been able to find any pictures that match this one.. you really think it's a peace lilly? Maybe I'll try to get better pictures once I get home from work.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

There are at least 80 known species of Spathiphyllum and who knows how many hybrid variations. Growers love to combine genetic traits of one species with another (or one hybrid with another) in order to try to produce plants with bigger (or smaller) or more unique leaves as well as larger or smaller or more unique spathes. Unless the plant came with a tag, which is unlikely, figuring out which hybrid or species you have will be quite difficult. There are a number of good discussions on this group of plants on this board. I'd suggest you use the "search" at the top of the page and read more there.

Generally, they are easy to care for. They don't like to be over watered and will give you a clue when they are "thirsty" by beginning to droop their leaves. The plants will live in a wide range of environments but most people do well by keeping them in a room where they receive adequate light that is not bright. They can be induced to flower by giving them a dilute fertilizer (about 1/4 strength, perhaps a little less) with each watering.

5. peardog

peardog Member

alright, thanks for your help!