Kyoho grape

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by jbutts, Sep 14, 2009.

1. jbutts

jbutts Member

I had an amazing grape from the local Korean grocery yesterday, and from the look and sound of it, it may have been a Kyoho grape. Anyone out there grow this? And anyone is PNW know if it would safely grow here ("here" is Burnaby BC)?

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Kyoho is a Japanese grape variety. It's grown in Asia as well as California and Chile.
    It's a cross between Campbell's Early and Centennial. Campbell's Early is still grown
    in BC by several growers in the Okanagan (small quantities). I doubt it's available in Canada as a plant. It's probably going to be difficult ot obtain the plant and it might be hard to grow in Burnaby. Nice grape though huge berrries. Campbell's Early has large berries as well.

This a picture of Campbells' Early from a wonderul old Book I have called The Grapes of New York. If you can't Kyoho try getting Campbell's Early. I grew it in the Okanagan
    it's a nice grape and will grow for you in Burnaby

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29659/29659-h/images/plate09.jpg

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. bostock

bostock Member

I would back-up Prairiegrapes' comment. I visited Sendai Japan a couple of years ago and enjoyed a wonderful, large, labrusca grape at a reception there which I found out was Kyoho. I returned home, and a week later I found a very similar grape growing on a vine that hung over a fence in Dunbar (suburb of Vancouver). I thought I had found the same grape! The berries were large (5-10 g) and had the same nice labrusca taste (nicer and more perfumed for example than Sovereign coronation which is the local grape sold in most stores at this time of year and which I find is too musky - not sure why they chose it to be a commercial cropper, except perhaps that it bears well and is seedless...) Anyway, through a process of elimination I figured that the Dunbar grape must be Campell's early which has been grown in the PNW at least by gardeners for many years.

Main point, however, is that Campbell's early and Kyoho are quite similar, at least to my palate - not a surprize perhaps because, as Prairies grapes indicated, the former is the parent of the latter.

4. Anna liu

Anna liu New Member

Did Jbutts find the plant?
    I am a Kyoho grape lover too. Also want to plant Kyoho in Burnaby.
    I would like to buy it locally rather than from USA ebay.