Unusual plant shoots in Seattle area

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ckay, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ckay

ckay Member

Please help me ID this plant!

A friend of mine found this plant when walking near a river in the Seattle/Kirkland area.
    Does anyone know what it might be? I searched through images of native Washington perennials but didn't find anything similar. I assumed it must be a perennial because the shoots look like they are coming straight up from the ground. Perhaps it is an invasive of some kind?

Would love to hear your ideas...

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. ckay

ckay Member

thanks, that's it! I know horsetail but I didn't think that this was it. Turns out I didn't know about these fertile cones they produce before the other more recognizable foliage.

Thanks for the ID!

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Equisetum telmateia (Great Horsetail). Likes wet, swampy soils.

Much less invasive than E. arvense, which is the weedy species that Silver surfer is referring to.

5. ckay

ckay Member

interestingly Common Horsetail is not listed as invasive in any state in the US. However Great Horsetail (which is native to the western US region only) is listed as a noxious weed in Oregon.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Odd! As a technical point, neither can be invasive in Oregon, as they're both native there - by definition, you can't invade your own home.

E. arvense can certainly be an aggressive nuisance weed, and invasive outside of its native range (e.g. in New Zealand); E. telmateia may be vigorous but I've never seen it be an aggressive weed. Some native populations near me haven't changed their size at all in many years, no spreading, confined to very wet soil with groundwater seepage.

Worth adding that E. telmateia is (I think, anyway!) a very attractive plant, grows to 1.5m (rarely 2m) tall.

Attached Files: