Gunera / Elephant Ear Winterization

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Furst Gardin, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Furst Gardin

Furst Gardin Member

Can someone please tell me how to winterize my Gunera / Elaphant Ear? It just a baby and I live in Mission BC where we get snow before anyone else in the valley. We have had our first frost last night and I'm worried about my plant. Thank you for all you help. I've been told to cut the leaves at the stocks and place them over the base of the plant and cover. I have also been told to just fold the leaves over the base and cover for the winter. What will cutting the leaves do? Should I cover the plant? I'm so confused. The nursery where I bought the plant never told me how to get through the winter.

P.S. I have no Idea where to post this.

Christy

2. alabama

alabama Active Member

A hard freeze will probably kill it. If you can, put it in a warm place for the winter.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I have had Gunnera in Coquitlam, Port Hardy and here in Port Alberni. They actually are quite hardy, in our climate, and will likely survive frost and snow.

After the frost has browned out the leafs, just cut them back to the ground and use the leaf matter as a cover. I also throw cardboard or a tarp over top as the leafs will likely blow away.

You likely have enough rain fall as they are extermely big drinkers, so cover and forget them for the winter. You can split them with a shovel, or a saw and they are worth about $ 50 for a decent cutting.

Enjoy the enormus giant.