if i cut grape vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by krajina, Dec 28, 2004.

1. krajina

krajina Member

i would like to cut a small twig from my niagara grape vine for rooting. what (if) should i put on the tip of grape vine to prevent bleeding. i am in Brampton, Ontario, it is very cold. thanks to all.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

3. krajina

krajina Member

Ralph, thank you very much for the sites. But I would like to ask you about callusing.
    Does it mean that I first have to cut the branch, leave it somwhere until it calluses and then plant it?

I thought that as soon as we cut the branch we have to stick it in the soil? I guess I am wrong? Please, if You know could you let me know. Thank you very much.

4. Ralph Walton

"Have to" is too strong. You can strike a cutting (there's some more jargon for you; I always used to say "take" a cutting, but those in the know seem to like to say "strike") and stick it in the ground and often it will grow. Several things will increase both the chance of success and/or the subsequent vigor of the new plant. Callus formation is one of them.
    The cells of the plant stem are different from the cells in the root branches. Think of callus as an "in between" stage; it is undifferentiated tissue, neither branch nor root, from which you can get "adventitious" growth, namely the roots you are hoping for. Allowing the cutting to callus before planting it gives it a bit of a head start.
    Some of the other things that will help include waiting for the right weather (or start them indoors) and rooting hormone

5. krajina

krajina Member

Ralph, thank you very much, you are so kind.
    Ralph, I do apologize for choosing "wrong" words, very often I use words that I do not know their "strenght", I am trying my best, but english language is very difficult to me and my daughter doesn't want to help me Re; my english; she says oh dad try your best and gardeners will understand you. Please keep in touch

6. Ralph Walton

If that's all your daughter won't help you with, you are truly blessed. We have three sons and a farm; the list of things my sons don't help with is truly amazing.
    I intended no criticism of your word selection: English is a language with a lot of words that mean almost the same thing. It's not so much that a word will be "wrong" as that another word may be "more right".
    Your daughter is right otherwise, we will eventually muddle thru to an understanding.
    Ralph.

7. krajina

krajina Member

Ralph, thank you. Oh, it would be so nice that you and I are neighbours:-)